Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Charlie Pants Health Update

As I posted earlier, Charlie has been really sick for the past two days.  I have been woken both days to diarrhea and vomit all over my carpet. Poor guy.

Well after running blood tests on his kidneys, liver, pancreas, and thyroid it turns out that Charlie has pancreatitis and a possible hypothyroid. He was given a large dose of antibiotics and some medicine to help stop his severe diarrhea and vomiting.  He was also quite dehydrated and we discussed admitting him to administer fluids, but they gave me some ideas to get him to drink some water and if that doesn't work he will be admitted to the vet tomorrow.

I thought I would pass the vet's lovely tips of how to get a sick pup to drink water when they are dehydrated onto my readers.

If your dog wont drink water try buying low sodium chicken broth and mixing about 2 Tablespoons of the broth with about 1/3 cup of water.  Sick dogs might not want to drink water but they love to drink broth water.

It worked brilliantly. Charlie drank the whole bowl and so far has kept it down for 2 hours.

They also suggested that some dogs love Gatorade. So you could try that as well.  I pray Charlie keeps his food down.

Tips for bland food for when pup is sick:

rice
boiled chicken
egg cooked
pasta (no sauce)
pumpkin mash(good for fiber and to harden stool)
plain yogurt

Pin It

No comments: